Thursday, January 10, 2013

A little Paint Can Fix Just About Anything!


I typically always have a project going on in our garage, and am always seeming to have a vision for furniture that everyone else wants to burn for firewood!  I'm pretty positive that by now my hubby has given up trying to talk me out of my so-called "projects" and instead has embraced my hobby by letting me make a mess of the garage and parking outside when I've got paint and drawers laying all over!

I would say that my skills are novice, at best.  So if I can do this, anyone can.  All it takes is a little vision, elbow grease, and the right tools!  If you are going to start refinishing furniture, you are going to need a few staple items that will make your project a heck of a lot easier!  Here are a few...


Sanding Block





You definitely want to use a sanding block if you are going to sand anything flat by hand.  You don't want to be rubbing sandpaper right on the surface with just your hand.  Try it once, and you will know why!  Considering you can get this for under $3, there really is no reason to not have one! 

Tack Cloth




This tack cloth by 3M is used to wipe down the item you just finished sanding.  It is actually "tacky" and will pick up all of the dust leaving you with a clean surface to work with.  Just trust me when I say, skip the old rag, and use the tack cloth.  Once you go TACK you never go BACK!  (Don't mind my workshop humor!)

Electric Hand Sander



This bad boy is the best $30 I ever spent!  I can't believe how many projects we did without this!  It will save you so much time and energy.  I got mine at Wal-Mart, but you can get them pretty much anywhere.  I know some people prefer the Mouse Detail Sander to this, but I didn't want to have to deal with buying special pre-cut sandpaper, plus I wanted a larger sanding plate to cover more area in less time.  The mouse sander would be great for distressing things, but even then, that can be done by hand or with this sander as well. 

Aside from these, you will obviously need tools, sandpaper, paintbrushes, etc.  But if I were to go back to when I started, I wish I would have always had these items on hand! 

Next, I'll share some of our projects, the steps we took, and the products we used to transform them!

Until next time...

xoxo
Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment