Wednesday, January 16, 2013

God Sent Me a Letter!

Tonight, I'm feeling extremely unmotivated to write.  I really just want to curl up in bed with a glass of wine, my heating pad on my achy back, and watch trash television.  There are just a couple problems-- I'm still fasting (ie- no wine) and my freaking heating pad is busted.  To top it off it looks like a nuclear laundry bomb exploded all over my living room and I've been trying to comfort a colicky baby for the last three nights to no avail.  Needless to say I am one tired, irritable, not-feeling-so-mentally-stable kinda momma. Aaaaaand it's only Wednesday.

Cool... (In case you can't tell, this is me being sarcastic.)

But just when I'm about to hop on the enemy's pity-party bus... My totally-awesome-mind-reading-ever-present-satan's butt kicking God steps in and directs me to the book of James, revealing to me my own little personalized letter!

"Why James?" I'm thinking...  So I hurry and open up my YouVersion Bible app to the book of James to read this:

"Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy.  For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow." (James 1:2-3 NLT)

A little further reading lands me here...

"God blesses those who patiently endure testing and temptation.  Afterward they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.  And remember, when you are being tempted, do not say, "God is temping me."  God is never tempted to do wrong, and he never tempts anyone else.  Temptation comes from our own desires which entice us and drag us away." (James 1:12-14 NLT)

And then it gets really good...

"So get rid of all the filth and evil in your lives, and humbly accept the word God has planted in your hearts, for it has the power to save your souls."  (James 1: 21 NLT)

Wow.  Just...wow.  I love moments like this, when I'm feeling "off" and God just steps in an reveals himself to me, time and time again. It never fails. HE never fails.  I could sit and mope all night, or I can be thankful, better yet, JOYFUL for a challenge that is going to allow me to grow and take my faith to the next level.

All-in-all, I hope this reaches or inspires someone, even if it's just one person who needs to hear it, who needs encouragement, because clearly, I needed to hear it too!  We are never done growing in our faith, and we are never too old to make some changes!  So as the saying goes, "Carpe Diem!"

xoxo
Dani

PS- If you don't have it yet, go to your app store and download the You Version Bible App.  It's free, handy, and is loaded full of devotionals, reading plans, etc!


2 comments:

  1. Loved it! Powerful what God can bring us through if we can keep our eyes on him :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a great writer. I've had times when God swoops in and just knocks me off my whiney feet. :P

    ReplyDelete